Using Ultrasound for Risk Assessment in Pregnancy
Do you have the in-depth answers clients need regarding concerns about safety and accuracy?
Are you confident in your knowledge of appropriate follow-up for common findings? Do you know when to consult or refer?
Learn how to...
- Identify individuals who are qualified to perform and interpret diagnostic obstetrical sonograms.
- Indicate the guidelines for the reporting, and performance, of obstetrical exams.
- Recognize and practice ultrasound safety.
- Evaluate sonographic dating accuracy in the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd trimesters.
- Breakdown an ultrasound report and identify its parts.
- Describe common ultrasound findings found on a report, their association with various anomalies, and when to follow-up.
- Explain fetal biometry and growth measurements and how they can affect patient care.
- Compare the Full Biophysical Profile and Modified Biophysical Profile.
- Determine the accuracy of Amniotic Fluid measurements.
- Identify placental grading.
- Explain the benefits vs risks of sonography in midwifery care.
Approved by MEAC for 4 hours of continuing education (approval number M1920-122-0731DE) through 8/13/2022.
Approved for the NARM Midwifery Bridge Certificate, Category 1.
- 1.1 Ultrasound Facilities
- Article: Ultrasound Performance and Interpretation Guidelines Published by the AIUM and ACR
- 1.2 Sonographer Qualifications
- 1.3 Who May Interpret?
- Guidelines for Limited Exams by Advanced Clinical Providers in Women’s Health
- 1.4 Regulations
- 1.5 Safety Concerns and Considerations
- Article: Ultrasound Biosafety Considerationsfor the Practicing Sonographer and Sonologist
- Where Who How Quiz
- 2.1 Anatomy of a Report
- 2.2 Legal Disclaimer
- 3.1 Abdominal vs Vaginal Probe
- 3.2 First Trimester Dating
- 3.3 ART Considerations and Twin Typing
- 3.4 First Trimester Common Findings
- First Trimester Quiz
- 4.1 Second Trimester Dating
- 4.2 Second Trimester Common Findings
- Second Trimester Quiz
- 5.1 Third Trimester Dating
- 5.2 Third Trimester Biometry and Growth
- 5.3 To (Routine Third Trimester) Scan or Not?
- Article: ACR Appropriateness Criteria Assessment of Fetal Well-Being
- Article: ACOG Practice Bulletin #145 Antepartum Fetal Surveillance
- 5.4 BPP and Modified BPP
- 5.5 AFI
- Third Trimester Quiz
- 6.1 Placental Grading
- Placental Grading Quiz
- 7.1 Clinical Considerations
- Printable PDF (for clients!): Prenatal Ultrasound FAQ
- Printable PDF (for clients!): Informed Choice Form for Routine Prenatal Ultrasound
- Article: ‘Ultrasound is an invaluable third eye, but it can’t see everything’: a qualitative study with obstetricians in Australia
- MEAC Evaluation Questions
- MEAC Post-Test and CE Certificate