Should thyroid antibodies be routinely tested for in pregnancy?
Which postpartum thyroid condition can be deadly?
What are the safe ways to ensure adequate iodine during pregnancy? Is routine iodine supplementation safe?
If you thought you knew about thyroid but are struggling with the answers to those questions, this course is for you!
Discuss the role of thyroid hormones in the body
Explain the role of maternal thyroid in fetal development (low maternal thyroid leads to irreversible cognitive development deficits and increases risk of neurodevelopmental disorders)
Explain the interplay between thyroid and stress (the H-P-T axis is stress sensitive and may be involved in stress regulation systems in the brain)
Explain the hormonal sequence leading to the production of thyroid hormones
Define TRH, TSH, T4, T3, TBG
Describe normal range lab values for TSH, T4 in a non-pregnant woman
Explain the impact of estrogen and of hCG on thyroid production
Discuss how pregnancy changes TSH and T4 values
Define hypothyroidism and subclinical hypothyroidism
Differentiate subclinical hypothyroidism from clinical hypothyroidism
Differentiate “primary” from “secondary” hypothyroidism
Define Hashimoto's Disease including cause
Describe how Hashimoto's Disease is diagnosed, including labs
Explain treatment of Hashimoto's Disease and how it differs from other hypothyroid treatments
List signs, symptoms, and diagnostic criteria for subclinical hypothyroidism and for hypothyroidism
Explain treatment of hypothyroidism
Describe how low thyroid impacts pregnancy outcomes
Define Graves Disease
Explain etiology and risk factors for hyperthyroidism
List signs, symptoms, and diagnostic criteria for hyperthyroidism
Explain treatment of high thyroid levels
Describe impact of hyperthyroidism on pregnancy outcomes
Explain postpartum hyperthyroidism and describe its course and treatment. (pp thyroiditis)
Define Sheehan's Syndrome, including its cause (pp pituitary necrosis due to severe pp hemorrhage) and prognosis (permanent and increasing destruction of gland)
List four clinical consequences of Sheehan's Syndrome
List four potential complications of Sheehan's Syndrome
This course has been approved by MEAC for 4 hours of continuing education. The approval number for this course is M1920-53-0101DE, and this approval is current through January 16th, 2022.This course was previously approved from January 16th, 2018 through January 16th, 2020, under MEAC approval number M1718-50-0101DE.
Accepted by the NARM Bridge program for Category I.
This course is a fundraiser for Birthingway College.
MA, CPM, LDM
- Readings (optional)
- Study Guide
- Video 1.1: The Players
- Video 1.2: The Production Process
- Video 1.3: Non-pregnant Values
- Quiz 1
- Video 2.1: Impact on the Fetus
- Video 2.2: Normal Changes In Pregnancy
- Quiz 2
- Video 3.1: What About Iodine?
- Video 3.2: What About Antibodies?
- Quiz 3
- Video 4.1: Subclinical Hypothyroidism
- Video 4.2: Types of Hypothyroidism
- Video 4.3: Risk Factors, Causes, S/S, Complication, Rule Outs
- Video 4.4: Screening and Management
- Quiz 4
- Video 5.1: Types of Hyperthyroidism
- Video 5.2: Risk Factors, Causes, and S/S
- Video 5.3: Thyroid Storm
- Video 5.4: Other Complications and Rule Outs
- Video 5.5: What Shall We Do About This?
- Quiz 5
- Printable PDF: Thyroid Disorders Chart
- Video 6.1: Thyroid Disorders Chart
- Video 7.1: Postpartum Thyroiditis Explained
- Video 7.2: Postpartum Thyroiditis Factors, Complications, and Management
- Video 7.3: Sheehan's Syndrome Explained
- Video 7.4: Sheehan's Clinical Features, Complications, and Treatment
- Quiz 7
- Video 8.1: Conclusion
- MEAC Overall-Program-Evaluation-Form
- MEAC Post-test and CE Certificate
Regular Price (USD)
All Courses, MEAC Approved CE, NARM Bridge Approved Courses, OMC Fundraisers
Fetal Assessment In Labor ~ 2nd edition
Approved by MEAC for 9 hours of continuing education.
All Courses, MEAC Approved CE, NARM Bridge Approved Courses, Birthingway
Jaundice: Friend or Foe?(6)
This course is a fundraiser for Birthingway College of Midwifery and has been approved by MEAC for 3 hours of CE.