Should thyroid antibodies be routinely tested for in pregnancy?
Which postpartum thyroid condition can be deadly?
What are the safe ways to ensure adequate iodine during pregnancy? Is routine iodine supplementation safe?
If you thought you knew about thyroid but are struggling with the answers to those questions, this course is for you!
“I was really impressed that I am walking away from this course with more of an understanding with a subject which I'd never been able to say that about! Holly is such a wonderful instructor- thank you!”
“I finally have a mental grasp on the concept of thyroid hormones and their production. The D/O section was very useful, enough to update my practice guidelines. Thank you. I highly recommend.”
“Very helpful in clarifying thyroid disorders in pregnancy. It is one of those topics I always knew was important but was never quite clear on who I should be testing, what I should be looking for, etc. I feel much more prepared for the next time I encounter this.”
Upon completion of this course, the learner will be able to:
- Discuss the role of thyroid hormones in the body
- Explain the role of maternal thyroid in fetal development (low maternal thyroid leads to irreversible cognitive development deficits and increases risk of neurodevelopmental disorders)
- Explain the interplay between thyroid and stress (the H-P-T axis is stress sensitive and may be involved in stress regulation systems in the brain)
- Explain the hormonal sequence leading to the production of thyroid hormones
- Define TRH, TSH, T4, T3, TBG
- Describe normal range lab values for TSH, T4 in a non-pregnant woman
- Explain the impact of estrogen and of hCG on thyroid production
- Discuss how pregnancy changes TSH and T4 values
- Define hypothyroidism and subclinical hypothyroidism
- Differentiate subclinical hypothyroidism from clinical hypothyroidism
- Differentiate “primary” from “secondary” hypothyroidism
- Define Hashimoto's Disease including cause
- Describe how Hashimoto's Disease is diagnosed, including labs
- Explain treatment of Hashimoto's Disease and how it differs from other hypothyroid treatments
- List signs, symptoms, and diagnostic criteria for subclinical hypothyroidism and for hypothyroidism
- Explain treatment of hypothyroidism
- Describe how low thyroid impacts pregnancy outcomes
- Define hyperthyroidism
- Define Graves Disease
- Explain etiology and risk factors for hyperthyroidism
- List signs, symptoms, and diagnostic criteria for hyperthyroidism
- Explain treatment of high thyroid levels
- Describe impact of hyperthyroidism on pregnancy outcomes
- Explain postpartum hyperthyroidism and describe its course and treatment. (pp thyroiditis)
- Define Sheehan's Syndrome, including its cause (pp pituitary necrosis due to severe pp hemorrhage) and prognosis (permanent and increasing destruction of gland)
- List four clinical consequences of Sheehan's Syndrome
- List four potential complications of Sheehan's Syndrome
HiveCE is an approved provider of continuing education by the California Board of Nursing, and this course meets the California Board of Nursing criteria for # hours of continuing education. Provider approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing, Provider Number 17686, for 4 contact hours. (This is widely accepted nationwide as continuing education for nurses and midwives.) More information about this provider approval may be found here.This course was previously approved by MEAC from January 16th, 2018 through January 16th, 2020, under MEAC approval number M1718-50-0101DE; and through January 31st of 2022 under MEAC approval number M1920-53-0101DE.
Accepted for the NARM Midwifery Bridge Certificate under Category I.
Note: Course completion does not authorize the learner to use skills outside their scope. Please refer to your state guidelines for determining scope of care.
For information regarding our refund policy and other Frequently Asked Questions, please refer to our FAQ. If you have additional questions, please email jesica@HiveCE.com.
MA, CPM, LDM
- Readings (optional)
- Study Guide
- Video 1.1: The Players
- Video 1.2: The Production Process
- Video 1.3: Non-pregnant Values
- Quiz 1
- Video 2.1: Impact on the Fetus
- Video 2.2: Normal Changes In Pregnancy
- Quiz 2
- Video 3.1: What About Iodine?
- Video 3.2: What About Antibodies?
- Quiz 3
- Video 4.1: Subclinical Hypothyroidism
- Video 4.2: Types of Hypothyroidism
- Video 4.3: Risk Factors, Causes, S/S, Complication, Rule Outs
- Video 4.4: Screening and Management
- Quiz 4
- Video 5.1: Types of Hyperthyroidism
- Video 5.2: Risk Factors, Causes, and S/S
- Video 5.3: Thyroid Storm
- Video 5.4: Other Complications and Rule Outs
- Video 5.5: What Shall We Do About This?
- Quiz 5
- Printable PDF: Thyroid Disorders Chart
- Video 6.1: Thyroid Disorders Chart
- Video 7.1: Postpartum Thyroiditis Explained
- Video 7.2: Postpartum Thyroiditis Factors, Complications, and Management
- Video 7.3: Sheehan's Syndrome Explained
- Video 7.4: Sheehan's Clinical Features, Complications, and Treatment
- Quiz 7
- Video 8.1: Conclusion
- MEAC Evaluation Questions
Regular Price (USD)
“Very good class for learning about thyroid issues pre-pregnancy, during each trimester of pregnancy as well as postpartum. ”
“Very good class for learning about thyroid issues pre-pregnancy, during each trimester of pregnancy as well as postpartum. ”→Read Less
“This course finally offers what we have been missing! Making sense of thyroid hormones in relation to pregnancy in a simplified but educational way. I am very impressed. Thank you!”
“This course finally offers what we have been missing! Making sense of thyroid hormones in relation to pregnancy in a simplified but educational way. I am very impressed. Thank you!”→Read Less
“Great coverage and base of knowledge about a subject that needs to be understood, but often isn't. ”
“Great coverage and base of knowledge about a subject that needs to be understood, but often isn't. ”→Read Less
“This class was phenomenal. Honestly I will probably take it again because there was so much to take in I need to hear it again. This course give invaluable information and I've already used it in my practice. In fact, the reminder that a mother...”→Read More
“This class was phenomenal. Honestly I will probably take it again because there was so much to take in I need to hear it again. This course give invaluable information and I've already used it in my practice. In fact, the reminder that a mother should feel better and not have "thyroid symptoms" 1 year postpartum led to further testing of my own daughter in law which led to a biopsy and a partial thyroidectomy for pre-cancerous cycts. You will not go wrong taking this class and the handouts are definitely worth printing and keeping.”→Read Less
“excellent class!!”→Read Less
“I really enjoyed this course. It was laid out and presented well. The handouts were very helpful! Thank you! ”
“I really enjoyed this course. It was laid out and presented well. The handouts were very helpful! Thank you! ”→Read Less
“I thought that Holly presented the material in an easy to understand, informative way. ”
“I thought that Holly presented the material in an easy to understand, informative way. ”→Read Less