Would you like to be able to give accurate, evidence based information regarding the safety of placentophagy?
Midwives, nurses, and doulas are often asked about the safety of placentophagy, and this course will enable all perinatal healthcare providers to provide evidence based answers to those questions.
Upon completion of this course, the learner will be able to:
- Identify the reasons why birthing parents choose to consume their placentas.
- Identify what research outcomes have shown for neonatal safety.
- Identify what research outcomes have shown for maternal safety.
- Describe the potential mechanism of action for benefits.
- Identify what is not known regarding placentophagy/in need of more research.
HiveCE is an approved provider of continuing education by the California Board of Nursing, and this course meets the California Board of Nursing criteria for 1.5 hours of continuing education. Provider approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing, Provider Number 17686, for 1.5 contact hours. (This is widely accepted nationwide as continuing education for nurses and midwives. For information about nursing CE in your state, please refer to our state-by-state guide.)
This course was previously approved by MEAC for 1.5 hours of continuing education. Approval number M1920-120-0710DE from 8/1/20 through 7/31/22, and M1718-98-0708DE from 2018-2020 .
Note: Course completion does not authorize the learner to use skills outside their scope. Please refer to your state guidelines for determining scope of care.
For information regarding our refund policy and other Frequently Asked Questions, please refer to our FAQ. If you have additional questions, please email jesica@HiveCE.com.
- Video 1.1 The CDC Warning: How Did We Get Here?
- CDC Warning
- Video 1.2 Study Design: What Do We Know? What Do We Want To Learn?
- Video 2.1 Anatomy of the Placenta (model)
- Video 2.2 Anatomy of the Placenta (real human organ)
- Video 3.1 Analysis of Capsules, the First RCT, and Survey Results
- PubMed: Analysis of Capsules
- Randomized Controlled Trial (Abstract)
- PubMed: Placentophagy Survey Results
- Video 4.1 Study Methods
- Video 4.2 Analysis
- Video 4.3 Neonatal Outcomes
- Placentophagy among women planning community births in the United States: Frequency, rationale, and associated neonatal outcomes (MANAStats Study)
- Video 5.1 Safety Considerations and Implications for Practice
- Video 5.2 Conclusions
- Video 5.3 Q&A with the Live Audience
- MEAC Evaluation Questions
- Edinburgh Postpartum Depression Scale
Midwife, Researcher, Professor
Regular price (USD)
“As a placenta encapsulation Doula, I was able to understand the research part of things and better educate my clients in these field. I feel better equiped from this class. Its a must do if you are a Placenta Encapsulator. ”
“As a placenta encapsulation Doula, I was able to understand the research part of things and better educate my clients in these field. I feel better equiped from this class. Its a must do if you are a Placenta Encapsulator. ”→Read Less
“well presented. Very easy to incorporate information into my conversations with my clients.”
“well presented. Very easy to incorporate information into my conversations with my clients.”→Read Less
“This class gave me more of a foundation to discuss pros and cons with clients, and understanding of the process.”
“This class gave me more of a foundation to discuss pros and cons with clients, and understanding of the process.”→Read Less