Bilibubin can be a dangerous neurotoxin...
but did you know that it is also a helpful antioxident?
Holly Scholles examines the evidence, the fear, and the little known facts about neonatal jaundice and bilirubin in this comprehensive course.
Upon completion of this program, the learner will be able to:
1. Identify the types of bilirubin, and how each type can impact the body.
2. List the normal physiological reasons for higher bilirubin levels to be present in the neonate.
3. Explain the benefits of bilirubin.
4. Identity the normal levels of newborn bilirubin specific to different populations.
5. Explain the difference between physiological and pathological jaundice.
6. Explain the difference between acute and chronic bilirubin encephalopathy.
7. Accurately estimate jaundice levels based on cephalopedal progression.
8. Identify when blood testing is needed.
9. Explain the risks and benefits of phototherapy.
10. Explain the process of breastmilk jaundice.
HiveCE is an approved provider of continuing education by the California Board of Nursing, and this course meets the California Board of Nursing criteria for 3.5 hours of continuing education. Provider approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing, Provider Number 17686, for 3.5 contact hours. (This is widely accepted nationwide as continuing education for nurses and midwives.)
This course has been approved by MEAC for 3.5 hours of continuing education. The MEAC approval number for this course is M2122-48- 0101DE, and this approval is current through December 31st, 2023.
This course was previously approved by MEAC for 3 hours of CE. MEAC approval number M1718-39-1202DE from December 2017 to December 2019, and MEAC approval number M1920-47-1212DE from December 2019 to December 2021.
Approved for the NARM Midwifery Bridge Certificate, Category 2.
This course is a fundraiser for Birthingway College of Midwifery.
Note: Course completion does not authorize the learner to use skills outside their scope. Please refer to your state guidelines for determining scope of care.
For information regarding our refund policy and other Frequently Asked Questions, please refer to our FAQ. If you have additional questions, please email jesica@HiveCE.com.
MA, CPM, LDM
- Neonatal Jaundice Study Guide
- Video 1.1: Jaundice of Old
- Quiz 1
- Video 2.1: Bili Basics
- Video 2.2: Types of Bilirubin
- Video 2.3: From Basic Jaundice to Complex Factors
- Printable PDF: Types of Bili Grid
- Quiz 2
- Video 3.1: What Happens During Pregnancy
- Video 3.2: Hemolytic Disorders
- Video 3.3: Neonatal Transition
- Quiz 3
- Video 4.1: Normal For Who?
- Printable PDF: Bili Chart from Video 4.1
- Printable PDF: Breastmilk Jaundice
- Video 4.2: Phase 1 Jaundice Levels
- Video 4.3: Phase 2 Jaundice Patterns and Contributing Factors
- Quiz 4
- Video 5.1: Hyperbilirubinemia
- Video 5.2: Pathological Jaundice
- Video 5.3: Acute Bilirubin Encephalopathy
- Video 5.4: Chronic Bilirubin Encephalopathy (the foe formerly known as Kernicterus)
- Quiz 5
- Video 6.1: Physical Assessment of Jaundice
- Video 6.2: Testing Options
- Video 6.3: Non-phototherapy Treatment Options
- Video 6.4: Phototherapy Risks and Benefits
- Video 6.5: Good Ol' Sunshine
- Quiz 6
- Video 7.1: Points To Remember
- Video 7.2: Breastmilk Jaundice
- Quiz 7
- MEAC Evaluation Questions
Regular Price (USD)
“This class was full of clear, well-organized, and up-to-date information. I also appreciate how easy it was to navigate the class/website. All of the classes I've taken through HIVE have been fantastic and worth the time and money spent. ”
“This class was full of clear, well-organized, and up-to-date information. I also appreciate how easy it was to navigate the class/website. All of the classes I've taken through HIVE have been fantastic and worth the time and money spent. ”→Read Less
“Really great class that presented a lot of new information and was very helpful.”
“Really great class that presented a lot of new information and was very helpful.”→Read Less
“I enjoyed the syllabus and handouts.”
“I enjoyed the syllabus and handouts.”→Read Less
“This was a very detailed course on jaundice. It was very informative. I was hoping for slightly more in depth info on when to treat. Brandy ~ Be sure to post in the discussion area with any questions you have about treatment or anything else, I...”→Read More
“This was a very detailed course on jaundice. It was very informative. I was hoping for slightly more in depth info on when to treat. Brandy ~ Be sure to post in the discussion area with any questions you have about treatment or anything else, I'll be sure that Holly sees them! ~ Jesica”→Read Less
“Very helpful. ”
“Very helpful. ”→Read Less