Training for cCHD Screening with information specific to the community setting.
1. Understand the public health implications of cCHD screening
2. Identify the most common types of heart defects that pulse oximetry is used to detect
3. Demonstate the ability to follow the algorithm for cCHD screening
4. Discuss the best practices for screening accuracy
5. Implement cCHD screening in a non-hospital birthing center
Provider approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing, Provider Number 13755, for 2.5 contact hours. This counts as Category I continuing education for NARM renewals.
Approved for the NARM Midwifery Bridge Certificate, Category 2.
- 1.1 Why do we do this?
- 1.2 The Implementation of a Public Health Measure
- State by State Regulations
- Article: Lessons Learned From Newborn Screening for Critical Congenital Heart Defects
- Article: Critical Congenital Heart Disease Newborn Screening Implementation ~ Lessons Learned
- 2.1 Types of Anomalies
- CDC: Atrial Septal Defect
- CDC: Atrioventricular Septal Defect (AVSD)
- CDC: Coarctation of the Aorta
- CDC: Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome
- CDC: Pulmonary Atresia
- CDC: Tetralogy of Fallot
- CDC: Total Anomalous Pulmonary Venous Return (TAPVR)
- CDC: Tricuspid Atresia
- CDC: dextro-Transposition of the Great Arteries (d-TGA)
- CDC: Truncus Arteriosus
- CDC: Ventricular Septal Defect
- 3.1 How To Test, Including Demonstration
- 3.2 Strategies for Reducing False Positives
- 3.3 "What if we don't trust that fail?"
- 3.4 Parental Education, Consent, and Referral Process (if screen is positive)
- The two PDFs that follow...
- Printable PDF of AAP Flowchart/Algorithm
- Printable PDF of HiveCE Test Results Grid Tool
- 4.1 Positively Failing
- 4.2 Using The Algorithm
- Link to Online Toolkit
- 5.1 Are you high? Perhaps in need of an altitude adjustment?
- 5.2 Considerations for Early Discharge
- 5.3 Timing of the Test within Community Midwifery Care
- 5.4 Scenarios
- 6.1 Cost
- 6.2 Insurance Reimbursement
- 7.1 The Big Picture
- 7.2 Useful Websites
- Link To Post-Test (will automatically generate CA Board of Nursing CE Certificate)
- Survey Results and Analysis
- Comments from the October 2018 Survey
Pat Scheans DNP, NNP-BC
Doctor of Nursing Practice
Regular price (USD)
“The content had new information, good review of known, and was in a well organized, easy to access format.”
“The content had new information, good review of known, and was in a well organized, easy to access format.”→Read Less
“I found it very helpful in getting familiar with pulse oximetry screening. I now better understand why we are doing the screening, how it is improving outcomes for babies with CCHD, and how it is not invasive and is very simple.”
“I found it very helpful in getting familiar with pulse oximetry screening. I now better understand why we are doing the screening, how it is improving outcomes for babies with CCHD, and how it is not invasive and is very simple.”→Read Less
All Courses, MEAC Approved CE
Billing for Midwives(18)
This course provides 10 hours of MEAC approved CE available instantly upon enrollment, plus additional bonus content!
A Heappa HIPAA Help...and Heroic Updates
Placentophagy: Frequency, Rationale, and Associated Neonatal Outcomes
Get Those Ducks In A Row: 15.5 hours of continuing education in HIPAA, Billing, and cCHD Screening