Come learn the biochemical evidence for adaptogens, how they can support your clients from preconception through postpartum, and how they can support everyone who is experiencing this common compromiser of health.
- The key elements of the hypothalamus-pituitary-adrenal (HPA) axis: overview of the physiological and metabolic changes following acute and chronic stressors.
- The key elements of the neuroendocrine response to stress ("the stress response").
- The stages of the stress response and the impact of chronic stress on the tissues and function of the body systems. We will have a special focus on these topics during the childbearing years: infertility, blood sugar dysfunction, cardiovascular disease, thyroid dysfunction, and immune dysfunction.
- Recognize signs and symptoms of stress-related dysfunction during preconception, pregnancy, and postpartum from subjective and physical findings as well as lab results.
- Develop familiarity with Eleuetherococcus senticosus and Shatavari racemosus for prevention and recovery from stress-related dysfunction during preconception, pregnancy, and postpartum. We will discuss plant families, habitat and cultivation, sourcing from herbal suppliers, herbal actions, key constituents, traditional use, modern research, mechanisms of action, energetic qualities, safety, therapeutic dosing, and formulation strategies.
- The role of adaptogenic botanicals in the midwifery model of care: a holistic approach to support the body in recovery from stress.
Approved by MEAC for 3 hours of continuing education (approval number M1920-64-0123DE through January 16, 2022).
- 1.1 Overview and Sources of Stress
- 1.2 General Adaptation Syndrome
- 1.3 Symptoms of Stress
- 2.1 Cellular Messaging (and we don't mean cell phones!)
- Cyclic AMP (cAMP) Animation from McGraw Hill Animations
- 2.2 These Are Your Hormones On Stress
- Article: Effects of Adaptogens on the Central Nervous System and the Molecular Mechanisms Associated with Their Stress-Protective Activity
- 3.1 Stress During Preconception
- 3.2 Stress During Pregnancy
- 3.3 Intrapartum & Postpartum
- 4.1 Benefits of Adaptogens
- 4.2 What are Adaptogens?
- 4.3 Mechanisms of Action
- Article: Novel molecular mechanisms for the adaptogenic effects of herbal extracts on isolated brain cells using systems biology
- 5.1 Introducing Eluthero
- 5.2 Historical Usage
- 5.3 Constituents and Herbal Actions
- 5.4 Herbal Actions at the Cellular Level
- 5.5 Administration, Dosage, Safety
- Q&A with Live Audience
- MEAC Evaluation Questions
- MEAC Post-Test and CE Certificate
- What We Did
- Elthero Sourcing Information from Frontier Co-Op
- Elthero Sourcing Information from Gaia Herbs
- Elthero Sourcing Information from Herb Pharm
- Elthero Sourcing Information from Mountain Rose Herbs
- Elthero Sourcing Information from Starwest Botanicals