2. The participant will recount how to provide patient access to records as well as how to protect and transfer health records.
3. S/he will list the legally necessary forms to document HIPAA compliance and implement required updates for changes that have occurred within the past 5 years.
Please see the Course Curriculum below for a full list of what this course includes. (And if you'd like to purchase ready-to-personalize forms, please see the bundle option at the very bottom of the page.)
This course has been approved by MEAC for 3 hours of continuing education. The MEAC approval number for this course is M1920-58-0201DE, and this approval is current through January 23rd, 2022.This course was previously approved from January 23rd, 2018 through January 23rd, 2020, under MEAC approval number M1718-63-0131DE.
Cartoon by R.J. Romero and used with permission.
- Study Guide
- Video 1.1: Introduction
- Video 1.2: Permitted uses without written authorization of the patient
- Video 2.1: Record Requests
- Video 2.2: Websites and Social Media (FACEBOOK!)
- Quiz 2
- Video 3.1: Written Policy of Privacy Practices
- Video 3.2: Notice of Privacy Practices
- Video 3.3: Business Associates, Employee, and Volunteer Agreements
- Quiz 3
- Video 4.1: General Protections for Communication, and Snail Mail
- Video 4.2: Just The Fax
- Video 4.3: Mobile Devices
- Video 4.4: Email Policy
- Video 4.5: Texting
- Video 4.6: Email and Texting Handout
- Quiz 4
- Video 5.1: Paper Charts In The Office
- Video 5.2: Paper Charts Out Of The Office (Homevisits! Apprentice documentation!)
- Video 5.3: Office Computers
- Video 5.4: Closing Your Practice
- Quiz 5
- Video 6.1: Resharing
- Video 6.2: The Checklist
- PDF: The Checklist
- Quiz 6
- Bonus Section!
- MEAC Evaluation Questions
- Link to MEAC Post-Test and CE Certificate
- HIPAA Exceptions During Covid-19
“Maryl did a great job and the handouts were a blessing!”
“Maryl did a great job and the handouts were a blessing!”→Read Less
“Thank you for putting together a straight forward informational course”
“Thank you for putting together a straight forward informational course”→Read Less
“Compliance with HIPAA can feel overwhelming and very alien to my practice setting. Maryl explains everything HIPAA in a clear and organized way, with information that applies to my small practice and to larger practices. And the tools which she ...”→Read More
“Compliance with HIPAA can feel overwhelming and very alien to my practice setting. Maryl explains everything HIPAA in a clear and organized way, with information that applies to my small practice and to larger practices. And the tools which she provides make it so straightforward and easy to become HIPAA compliant. The information on HIPAA and social media, email, and mobile devices was especially helpful. An excellent workshop!”→Read Less
“really great”→Read Less
Form Templates and Books
HIPAA forms - all ready for you to personalize with your practice information!