In this course, midwives and other care providers will learn techniques that research has shown to be effective in preventing and correcting back pain. Students will learn how to:
1. Practice inhibitory thinking in order to prevent automatic patterns of neuro-muscular dysfunction. ("Pause")
2. Practiceself-talk that results in increased dynamic postural tone. (“Lighten Up”)
3. Recognizecommon patterns of misalignment to compensate for changes in mass withpregnancy.
4. Employa competent “Position of Mechanical Advantage”(Monkey) and teach it to theirpregnant and new parent clients.
5. Suggestmovement, postural and cognitive strategies totheir clients to mitigatecommon, automatic patternsof compression and misalignment.
This course has been approved by MEAC for 4 hours of continuing education.
This class has been approved by the Oregon Board of Naturopathic Medicine (OBNM) for 4 hours of continuing education. (It is our understanding that this will count as CE for NDs in all states except for California, but we advise you to verify that understanding is accurate in your state prior to purchase.)
A fundraiser for the Oregon Midwifery Council.
Eve Bernfeld, MA
Certfiied Alexander Technique Instructoreve@inbalanceat.com
- How To Get The Most Out Of This Class
- Back Pain Handout for Clients - English
- Back Pain Handout for Clients - Spanish
- Learning Objectives
- Video 1.1: Intro and First Exercise
- Video 2.1: The Triplets, and a Proposal
- Video 2.2: Patterns of Balance
- Video 2.3: Pull Up vs Relax vs Lighten Up
- Part 2 Quiz
- Video 3.1: The Waist Is Not A Joint
- Video 3.2: Monkey ~ A Squat Interrupted
- Video 3.3: Fine Tuning the Monkey ~ What About Lordosis?
- Video 3.4: What About Engaging The Core?
- Video 3.5: This Hurts My Knees!
- Video 3.6: A Deeper Monkey For Labor (and The Full Squat)
- Part 3 Quiz
- Video 4.1: How To Balance Extra Mass In The Front
- Video 4.2: Live Audience Q & A
- Part 4 Quiz
- OCNM Post-test and CE Certificate
- MEAC Program Evaluation Form
- MEAC Post-test and CE Certificate
“Well done. The very simplicity of the concepts make this more useful, and more likely to be implemented in real life by our clients. The presentation was clear and concise.”
“Well done. The very simplicity of the concepts make this more useful, and more likely to be implemented in real life by our clients. The presentation was clear and concise.”→Read Less
“I'm so happy I sat this course in the comfort of my home office. What wonderful information for my clients and myself! Great teaching by a very calm and effective instructor. Will be looking forward to taking many more courses through this venue.”
“I'm so happy I sat this course in the comfort of my home office. What wonderful information for my clients and myself! Great teaching by a very calm and effective instructor. Will be looking forward to taking many more courses through this venue.”→Read Less
Regular Price (USD)
All Courses, Parent Education
Parent Education: Preventing Back Pain In Pregnancy (And In Life!)
Originally created for midwives, now available in this version modified for parents to view directly!